Friday, January 2, 2009

Favorites from an unfavorable year

Since I can't log in and post my favorites on Samhita's blog post, I'm going to post some of my favorite things from 2008 here. Hell, why not? I'm a blogger now. Heh.

Favorite Movie: The Dark Knight
Despite the fact that I felt totally dirty and traumatized after watching it (actually, 2008 kinda made me feel like that in general), I loved this movie. For me, it completely lived up to the hype, and Heath Ledger was brilliant. And I mean, it's fucking Batman, (and Christian Bale), how can I not love it? Although, frankly, I'm not that much of a movie person, so it takes a lot for a movie to make a mark on me the way this one did.

Favorite Album: Susquehanna by the Cherry Poppin Daddies
The last album the Daddies put out was Soul Caddy in 2001. I was 16 and they were still my favorite band. Seven years later, after the band had broken up, a spin off was formed and demolished, the Daddies started touring again and put out the new album which has a lot of Latin sounds (everybody on the floor for the c-c-conga), and I would have to venture that Susquehanna is the most successful Daddies album since back when they were just guys with day jobs who liked to make music (we're talking pre-ZSR here -- Soul Caddy was good, but the feel was distinctly different from what they put out before Zoot Suit Riot. It's not that I don't wish them to be able to sell out and do world tours on the dime of Atlantic Records, but I'm just saying the music became different after that happened.)

Favorite Book: The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder by Vincent Bugliossi
Strangely, this was the only book I read in 2008 that was actually published in 2008. However, I devoured it. Bugliossi is a fantastic writer with a bit of a wit, and more brains in his little finger than some of his subjects (like Bush for example) have in their entire heads. I believe his case is solid, and I just hope some District Attorney somewhere at least makes some kind of showing to bring charges against King George after he's out of office.

Favorite Blog: Renegade Evolution
Reading Ren is one of my favorite things to do. She's got a great sense of humor and is so smart it makes my head hurt. More than that, Ren isn't bound by ideologies like some other bloggers I read for fun (but it's a different kind of fun).
Honorable Mentions: Daisy Dead Air, Freeper Maddness, and Better Burn That Dress, Sister.

Favorite Group Blog: Feministing
I wouldn't have gotten into this blogging thing if I hadn't been reading Feministing all this time.

Favorite Media Slut: Joe the Plumber
This guy just never stops. He's worse than Sarah Palin... I'm thinking McCain should have had him for his running mate. Did you know he's got a book out?

Favorite Media Feminist Moment: Campbell Brown's Special Comments
CNN's Campbell Brown made herself known in this year of rampant sexism against political figures (Hillary Clinton, most noteably), and every so often would make her feminism known by pointing out the stupid and sexist things that were being portrayed in the media, by the media, or by political figures. I hope she keeps it up, personally.

Favorite Media Personality: Rachel Maddow
Duh.

Favorite Moment of 2008:

I couldn't decide which of the Obama wins was my favorite, but then I remembered Hillary's motion to have Obama nominated by acclamation. I love Hillary Clinton. And I this movement is my favorite of the year because it demonstrates unity in the Democratic party, but also the utter class of soon-to-be Secretary Clinton. Had Hillary won the nomination, I am certain that Barack would have acted very similarly.

Honorable Mention:


This made me not hate Journey quite so much.

3 comments:

Daisy Deadhead said...

Thank you for the honorable mention, I am thrilled! (((bows deeply)))

Anonymous said...

Don't comment here much. I've never felt the need as you say it pretty well. Keeping in theme, your blog is one of my "favorites". Keep it up!

THE EVIL SLUT CLIQUE said...

On behalf of sluts everywhere, we have this to say about Joe the Plumber: DO NOT WANT.

Apparently the latest is that he's going to Israel as a news correspondent, to find out what the Average Joes there think about what's going on. I'm sure he'll get right to the heart of the situation.