Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Su Job is dying

This is Su Job.

I had an art history class with Su at Cornish. It was the best art history class ever. I've known for a few days that she is dying (of an unnamed yet entirely pervasive cancer), but it didn't really hit me until this article in the Stranger.
"It's nice to be able to have unrestricted time, and I know that sounds ironic
because I am getting ready to die, but I don't have any commitments. I can blow
off any deadline," she says. "I had a girlfriend who said, 'There's nothing good
about this, it's all a terrible thing.' And I said, 'No, it's not all a terrible
thing. There's got to be something good about it, and you can't take that thing
away from me.' It just doesn't seem right that there would be an experience as
significant as death that would be all bad. That just doesn't make sense to me."

This is what made me weep. She will be celebrated long after any of us is forgotten. She will be celebrated this weekend in Pioneer Square.

I hope her final moments are less painful for her than the ones that follow will be for the Seattle Art Community.

No comments: