Thursday, October 16, 2008

More demeaning advertising on the 'Space


She looks happy, huh? Sports bra and jeans way bigger than she could ever fit into. Thumbs up! I lost an unhealthy amount of weight in two months! For free! That makes me happy! I was a size 8, but now I'm a size 2! That makes me happy! Boys like me! But what is this product that makes a person lose 6lbs per week for two whole months? Ebola? Tape worms?

This isn't even remotely the worst one I've seen. The pictures of girls who don't need to lose weight followed by pictures of them after having lost a significant amount... sad. Really sad. Meanwhile, Eva Longoria is still a size 0 even though she's stopped exercising... that tells me she doesn't eat. Size 0 isn't healthy. More importantly, the obsession with obtaining and maintaining it isn't healthy either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Came here from Feministing. :) I like your point about the ads on Myspace; many (most? all?) of them are very disturbing. However, I do resent your statement that a "size 0 isn't healthy" because, for some women, it is. I am a natural size 2 and can't get above a size 5 even when I try. I'm not anorexic, I'm not trying to lose weight, and I don't hate my body. I spent way too many years hating my body because I'm naturally what many progressives consider "too thin", but I've finally come to the conclusion that there is no shame in being a healthy size 2. Nor, for that matter, is there any shame in being a healthy size 16. Our culture needs to stop hating women's bodies-- that includes hating the bodies of women who are petite.

If you really want to call yourself a feminist blogger, don't declare that all women of ANY given size are unhealthy or unattractive. Acknowledge the differences that make each one of us unique and beautiful.