Thursday, July 5, 2012

ENTHUSIASM!

I turned my office door into a goal poster, and hung on
the corner my Business Hat. Each of those flamingos is
a person whose life I'm going to change this year. My
assistant deserves credit for helping draw and cut these
wing-guys out.
For some reason, I have a lot of trouble typing "enthusiasm". Every time I try, my fingers think it starts with a "t", which is pretty bizarre but I appreciate their zeal* for the word. I, likewise, have been putting a great deal of enthusiasm into goal-poster-ing my entire house... or at least my office. There are now flamingos literally in all corners of my office (okay, not the literal corners, however, each wall has at least 2), and "All That Glitters is Gold" goal posters all over the place. I tried to keep it from being too overwhelming for The Emperor's sake, but I think he would get over it if I really did blanket the house in "I'm gonna do this, this, and this, by this date, this date, and this date" (if only to call me on it and make sure it was getting done). 

*Thesaurus. I has one.

The thing about goal posters is that they remind you visually, (and I'm an incredibly visual person; see Art Degree), what you're working for. Why you're putting your feet on the floor in the morning. I've heard some tips about taping your goal paycheck to the ceiling above your bed (and since I've got comically over-sized checks, I might do just that, and put a flamingo next to it), and the other advice has been "trash your house with goal posters". I took 2-ish days off to make those goal posters, and I'm not quite done (since I had to go and make them all artistic collages, not just scribbles on a piece of cardstock -- which is not an invalid option), but I've spent quite a bit of time in vision-mode so that I can do just a little of it everyday after I've completed the project and be affirmed everyday.

I'm coming to realize more and more the importance of affirmations, both heard and seen. I've always been the kind of person who sees cues from the Universe in everyday life, and I've always been the kind of person who takes those cues, whether I do it consciously or not. The thing about affirmations as a deliberate activity done in work toward a goal, is that this activity creates a cue in the Universe. Now, whether you believe in the Law of Attraction, or Quantum Entanglement, what you think about, you bring about. Creating a cue in the Universe gives the people who are looking for you, the people you are looking for, the opportunity to follow that cue to your doorstep. Of course there is action required to make these cues meaningful (and I know cynics would argue that that means that affirmations are bunk), but one is arguably more apt to take action when reminded on a minute-to-minute basis that one has things to do, people to reach, and lives to change.

So what if it's weird. The mere fact that I have 30 flamingo silhouettes on the door of my office means that I'm going to make those flamingos mean something more than decoration. Elsewise, in 6 months, I'll embarassedly remove them from my home and try to pretend I never reached so high. Which is a pretty bleak thought, and I would rather not have to face that moment when I take down those flamingos in defeat. I shudder to think about it, even. Ew. What kind of cues does that produce in the Universe?

Certainly not ones of enthusiasm.


No comments: